Tuesday 30 August 2011

Let the train take the strain

Never did like Jimmy Saville.

I have been using the west coast main line service for over 20 years and I suppose it was inevitable that, eventually, I would have "one of those journeys". Well, today is that day. I have always been pretty pleased with the service on this line, especially in recent years, following the track improvements and the newish Pendolino trains. Today just goes to show what happens when things go wrong.

A freight train right in front of my train has caught fire, which means that, obviously the track is closed. It has been for about 2 1/2 hours now and there is no sign of us moving. I have obviously had to cancel my meetings today. (The a/c has just gone off as I am typing this - I wonder if things are looking up?)

Virgin have been providing us with "updates" every half hour, but they don't know what is going on either. We may be reversed back to Rugby, but who knows. The driver, who had been sent to the rear of the train in readiness, has just gone back to the front.

On the positive side, we have all filled in compensation forms, so it looks like we will get our fares refunded. Which is nice...

Better news is that Rebecca got home safe and sound and we had a nice weekend with her and her boyfriend staying. She returns north at the end of the week. It's good to have her home.

The train has just started moving again - in the right direction. I'd rather they had sent us back.

Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment